Every place has its own rules, customs, and norms. If you want to respect the local people and avoid offending them, it is better that you find information about the things that you can (and should) do, and the things you should avoid. If you are traveling to Bali, be sure to know the dos and the don’ts so you won’t get into trouble. After all, Bali is known for its strong traditional, cultural, and religious beliefs, so you’d better not offend the local people. If you want to enjoy your visits in Bali, be sure to follow these tips concerning different activities and topics.
Enjoying the Beach
If you want to enjoy the view and the beach activities, be sure to do so. You can also get braided service or even massage service from women who are offering their assistance. Pamper yourself and enjoy it. What you should do:
• Wear sunblock. Bali is known for its intense heat and hot temperature. Even if you have been wearing hat or staying under the shade, sunblock is important for you. It helps you avoiding sunburn as well.
• Drink a lot. Always carry bottled water with you, so you can stay hydrated most of the time.
Here is what you should avoid:
• Don’t come to the beach at night – especially for women. Not only it is pretty dangerous, people may think you are looking for sexual service.
• Don’t drink from the tap water. Water quality in Bali isn’t so good, so stick to the bottled water.
• Don’t leave your lodgings without the sunblock or head covering like hat. If you aren’t used to the heat, you may experience a pass out.
You can always find unique, traditional, and exotic stuffs when going shopping in Bali, but there are some things you should follow.
• Do haggle. You are expected to haggle because most of the sellers have set the price higher than the standard. Don’t forget to smile when haggling. You can even get much lower price if you buy a lot of stuffs.
• Be serious about it. Don’t haggle if you don’t intend to buy. It is offensive.
• Don’t haggle just to joke around. Most sellers in Bali are quite serious although they appear friendly. Be polite when haggling.
Meeting the local people can be fun, and you can actually learn a lot from them. Here are some things that you should and shouldn’t do when socializing:
• Don’t touch the head. It is highly offensive.
• Use both of your hands when giving or receiving things. Using your left hand only is impolite and offensive.
• Don’t point at things or people with your pointer only. If you do want to point, use your hand entirely. Only using the pointer is offensive.
• Do enjoy clubbing and beer Bintang. But don’t do drugs or consume arak, unless you are ready with the consequences, which may include your life.
• If you are invited to dinner, be sure to be ready for second serving. Don’t reject it or you will be considered impolite.
• Don’t leave your plate completely empty. Leave a little since it will be considered as an offering to the gods.